Reading Comprehension Intermediate
Try these tips with the following Merit programs: Developing
Critical Thinking Skills for Effective Reading, Confused Words Fix-Up, Vocabulary Stretch, and Reading Skill Builder
- For best results we recommend that students use these programs 20 to 25 minutes a session – two to three times a week – for six to eight weeks, and probably more, in conjunction with other methods of instruction.
- Login to Merit, choose Developing Critical Thinking Skills, Level 1, Unit 1. Complete “Tryout” (If you score over 85%, move up to Level 2 for more challenge), “Workout,” and the “Finals.” If you score lower than 50% on “Tryout,” use Reading Skill Builder instead.
- Review your scores in the Online Portfolio and read the “Tips and Strategies” section. Complete Level 1, Unit 2 “Tryout,” “Workout,” and “Finals” to apply the strategies you learned.
- Move up to the higher levels of Developing Critical Thinking Skills when you are ready. If you move up to a level and it is too difficult, you can move down and redo levels you have already completed.
- For a change of pace, use Merit Vocabulary modules on an as needed basis.
- Login to Merit, choose Vocabulary Stretch Level 1, Unit 1 – Learn. Compete “Tryout” (If you score over 85%, move up to Vocabulary Stretch, Level 2).
- Then go to Unit 2 – Exercise “Warm-up” to work through all the missed words. Complete the Unit 2 “Workout” to see if your knowledge has improved.
- Last, complete Unit – 3 (“Workout” and “Finals”) to master the level.
- Advance to Vocabulary Stretch, Level 2 when you are ready. Reminder – you can move down and redo levels you have already completed, if you feel Vocabulary Stretch Level 2 is too difficult.
- Confused Words Fix-Up, Level 2, is another good Merit activity to supplement intermediate reading instruction.
Resources to help you achieve success
Why Merit Is Different
Merit Software gives everyone involved — teachers, tutors, parents and students — the tools and opportunities to improve learning and to attain positive, measurable results. Learn more.
Automatic Student Tracking
All Merit online learning programs include FREE tools to track and monitor student usage.
Solutions by Grade Level
View recommended programs by Grade Level and Subject.